Thursday, September 4, 2008

POW John McCain

I'm trying to be an educated American. I found this article from John McCain about his POW experience. I read all of it in one sitting. Not just because this man wants to be our president, but I don't understand how a person can come out of being a POW whole. I came away from reading this piece knowing he is a very strong man, emotionally and physically.

The piece was written by McCain in 1973 after he was released by North Vietnam. He spent 5 and a half years in a POW camp. This was my favorite part and made me proud that he is our Republican candidate. He set this plan in motion in 1973 and he is still fulfilling his goal today. Looking at it from either side of the line, it's commendable.

"My own plans for the future are to remain in the Navy, if I am able to return to flying status. That depends upon whether the corrective surgery on my arms and my leg is successful. If I have to leave the Navy, I hope to serve the Government in some capacity, preferably in Foreign Service for the State Department.

I had a lot of time to think over there, and came to the conclusion that one of the most important things in life—along with a man's family—is to make some contribution to his country."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...