Monday, September 8, 2008

And the Chaos Begins

Sunday we went back to the house with my family and Jaime. We spent about on hour there going over what to do with this and how to fix that. Everyone is in agreement the ceilings need to be scraped. The tray ceiling does not look as beautiful as it could with knock down or a smooth surface.

After the house, Jaime, Jordan and I went to Starbucks to go over the whole contract. We accepted their counter offer. Jaime called the listing agent and asked what repairs would be finished if any, since we did put in the contract to buy the house "as-is". The owners are willing to repair the fences, mulch part of the backyard, finish painting, repair some broken tiles in the bathroom, fix a broken window and hang a new door where one is broken. We were really shocked to hear this because we really didn't expect them to finish any of that. I guess they don't feel right selling the house in disrepair. More power to them.

After we signed the contract we went furniture shopping. I want a buffet for the dining room and a coffee table. I found a couple buffets that I liked plus some accent pieces. All that will come after we've moved in though. This is one buffet that I picked out. I don't know if it's too tall though, since the large picture needs to go above it.





Today I spent the afternoon on the phone with lenders. Interest rates have gone down over the past month, and pretty drastically over night since the government took over Freddie/Fannie. We got some competitive offers and found out what we want and don't want in a mortgage. We're still deciding exactly how much we want to put down, that's negotiable but the closing costs are pretty much set in stone. Either way, we're getting a really good rate.

Jordan set up the inspection for Wednesday. Hopefully he will clear everything without a problem.

Tonight we went carpet shopping. All three bedrooms need new carpet. We went to the most accessible stores, which are Home Depot and Lowes. We are probably going to go with Lowes because they're install and labor lump sum is better. I'd be happy with just about any carpet as long as it is some sort of biege. The carpet dudes will come out on Wednesday also to measure the rooms.

And I will apparently not be getting any sleep until all this has calmed down.

1 comment:

  1. How tall are the ceilings in the dining room? That's what you need to think about. I like the buffet though!!

    Try not to stress...It will all work out in the end. I love you cuz!!!!!! Call me whenever you need to ramble, vent or just talk!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...