I just read an article Time magazine did on Pastor Joel Hunter, Who Is Joel Hunter, and Why Is Obama Praying With Him. Apparently, Pastor Joel got to have a pretty intimate prayer with Obama on election day. Pastor Joel is doing amazing things trying to bring Christians and non-Christians together on important issues. I love how he focuses on the resolution, not the differences of getting to the resolution. Such as, not focusing on if abortion is legal or not, but preventing women from ever needing the abortion in the first place and giving them alternative choices when the situation arises. I think each side can agree on that.
I really hope Obama is smart enough to include Pastor Joel on his religious counsel. This weekend Pastor Joel will be giving a sermon on Tuesdays election. This is his summary:
“‘God answered your prayers. If you pray, ‘God, put who you want in the White House;’ and you believe that God answers our prayers, then it is logical to assume that Barack Obama is God’s answer to our prayers.”
I'll have to admit, I was convicted on reading that.
Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
1 year ago

I agree with pastor Hunter's quote, but it's also true that God can use leaders to discipline nations or even just to test them by allowing hardships (recession, anyone?). The Old Testament is full of examples, and even in the new the Romans were in control - not ideal for God's people by any count. Not to say that Obama is God's way of smiting us or anything, but I'm not sure I'd say just 'cuz he was elected he's God's gift to Christians, either. Maybe God's just allowing us to reap the consequences of our actions as a nation: we voted, Obama won. There 'tis.
ReplyDeleteYou could also make the case that, like in the OT when the Israelites wanted a king and God gave them Saul, God gave us what we wanted, regardless of whether it was good for us or not. But that analogy would be comparing Obama to Saul, so I think I'll steer clear. ;)
Wow. Can't believe I just entered into a political discussion. Aaand I'm done.
No rebuttal from me. All valid points. I just hope this will somehow be positive for the country, even if that doesn't look possible. He isn't our King and you and I aren't going to get confused on who we worship.
ReplyDelete