Monday, September 13, 2010

Green Monster

A couple weeks ago my cross-country friend Andrea posted a picture on FaceBook of a "green monster" smoothie she was making. The color alone had me interested. So I googled green monster and came across the official Green Monster Movement website. Ends up it was made with spinach. Lots of raw spinach. Of course I was thinking there is no way a smoothie with a spinach base of all things could possibly be good! It would have to be one of those things you choke down just for it's nutritional value. But there were so many testimonials of people just raving about how good it was I had to give it a shot.

After reading through a couple pages of recipes I quickly came to the conclusion spinach+fruit=green smoothie. I used Breeze Vanilla Almond Milk for my liquid portion (because I prefer that over cows milk anyway), but you can use cows milk, yogurt, or soy milk also. I grabbed some of my favorite fruits (peaches, bananas, watermelon, mango) and went to town. And this is what my pretty concoction came out looking like!



I love that I can hide two servings of your recommended daily vegetables into such a tasty and easy to make drink. I even got Jordan, my very picky, 2-year-olds-eat-better-than-you, husband, to try it the other day, and he liked it! Not tolerated it (which is what he normally does when I try to get him to eat something healthy) but actually LIKED it!

Here's my favorite recipe so far:

2 cups raw spinach
1 cup Breeze Vanilla Almond Milk
8ish ice cubes
1 cup watermelon

That's it! I've drank one almost every day for about 5 days now. I've also tried it with bananas, mangoes, peaches, and Greek yogurt (that was definitely a no-go). I've figured out that whatever you pair with the almond milk and spinach, that flavor comes through very strong.

Just try it once, I promise you won't be disappointed!

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I think I have to make one of these. I am on a smoothie kick these days anyway, so why not :)
    P.S. I use almond milk in my smoothies as well. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spinach!?? I'm intrigued :)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...