I don't really know this Francisco dude, he goes to my parents church. All I got to say is waking up to his "Why do Christians drink alcohol" really rubbed me the wrong way. Obviously there's a dialogue to follow. And if I'm wrong, may God correct me. But, I pray, I AM NEVER THIS KIND OF CHRISTIAN. HOW is this EVER going to bring anyone to Christ?
Oh, and this was my "nice" comment back to him, cause I really wanted to lay into him.
Francisco is wondering why the heck Christians drink alcohol. He is going to write a note about it soon. 10:43am - 3 Comments
Mary Pitts at 11:06am October 31
Jesus did
Francisco Vázquez at 12:05pm October 31
Id like one specific reference where the Bible records Jesus drinking alcohol. And we also cant make the fallacy of comparing the wine of before to the wine today; alcoholic content is greatly different. Also, if Im not mistaken, grape juice fresh from the wine press would have been considered wine, but not the same type of wine as alcoholic wine. Yeah, Hebrew is weird like that...
Mary Pitts at 3:42pm October 31
If you're going to start changing meanings of words, lets go ahead with "homosexual." That's a slippery slope you're headed down. And where do you stop? If Jesus turned water to wine, why wouldn't he be ok with drinking it? And clearly bible "wine" had alcohol in it because there are tons of drunks in the stories. 95% of my Christian friends drink alcohol. None of us have a problem with it. None of my non-Christian friends have a problem with it. It's only the angry, judgmental Christians that have something to say. Where do you get off being my judge? Isn't that supposed to be left up to Jesus? This is why Christians have such a bad wrap in todays society. It's really hard witnessing to people when they have come across statements like you just made. All you do is alienate those who are unsure of what Christians are about and push them further into the dark. It brings no one closer to Christ.
Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
1 year ago

Eh, choose your battles, my friend. You're not going to change his mind, and it's no better to argue with fellow believers than it is with non-christians.
ReplyDeleteFor what it's worth, I agree with you. I just wouldn't advise being so harsh: you really whooped up on the poor guy, and alcohol is (obviously) a hard issue for a lot of Christians. Not that you'd have any luck regardless, but a gentler approach would probably have more success in getting your point across. That's just my $.02, anyway.