Last night we took Peanut and Jelly to the new house to play in the backyard. The electricity had been turned off since that afternoon so we weren't able to do a whole lot. Jelly ate the trees and Peanut went hunting through the bushes. Peanut found a yellow jackets nest and got herself thoroughly attacked. She had them all over her and she was quite pitiful looking. She got at least 6 stings, we had to pull out the stingers. I called the emergency vet and they told us to give her benedryl. She was in so much pain last night. She would lay down and get right back up to lick her stings. Then she would wonder all around the house, then try laying down again. It was so sad and had me near tears.
Today I spent the day running errands. Home Depot, utility company, Appliance Direct, Sears, Bed Bath and Beyond. I decided I want to replace the appliances. I bought paint to try out on the walls. And flying insect spray. I decided I was going to be brave and attack those that attacked my poor dog. I figured out where the yellow jackets were coming from (it was dark last night and we couldn't tell), a rotted out tree stump. I could see part of the nest, but there's a fern growing out the top so I wasn't sure. So I sprayed, got scared and ran in the house, back and forth about 3 times. Until I'd used 2 cans of pesticide.
After that I tried out some paint on the walls. Cleaned some of the electrical outlets, since the previous owner painted over all of them. And I hung the doorbell. Just call me Mrs. Fix-It.
So about an hour of all that I went back outside to check out the nest. I could see some dead yellow jackets and thought I had won the battle. I threw a rock at it and this HUGE swarm came out. Big enough you could hear the buzz, and hear their bodies smacking into each other and leaves. FREAKY! Time to call the professionals.
First guy I called quoted $350!!! I think he heard my gasp over the phone. Second guy I called was an "average" of $225. Whew, better, but holy cow! Third guy is going out there in the morning to do a free quote. I'm willing to pay whatever it takes to not have this happen to my dog again, but the unexpected expense is kind of a quick in the gut.
Tomorrow the electricity will be turned on. The ceiling guys will start tomorrow also. I love just being in the house. I'll be even more excited when it's ready for us to move in (And the yellow jackets have been completely removed).
Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
1 year ago

Poor Peanut!!!! I hope she is all better now!
ReplyDelete