There's always something to blog about around here!
Josh and Alison introduced us to wine tasting parties last Saturday. Why we haven't done something like it sooner, I don't know, but it was awesome. Probably because of all the wine. Now we want to have our own party.
I took the plunge and decided to start volunteering for church nursery. I wanted to start volunteering somewhere. Kids is what I know, and it might even be categorized as a gift, so that's what I'm going to do.
At work, our floor is changing to some kind of critical care/step down unit, so I'm going to be doing a lot of studying for the next couple of months. I have to do EKG, ACLS (advanced cardiac life support) and a critical care course, I think. I've already started studying the 8 pound "Basic Arrythmias" (EKG) book and honestly, learning about the heart freaks me out. One area of the book said something to the effect of, the electrical impulses move through the heart this way, we think, but we haven't been able to prove it. Are you kidding me!? The heart is so complex scientists still don't know how it does what it does? Holy freak.
And then since the floor pays for all this training, I have to sign a two year contract with them. I don't have all the gory details of the contract yet, but I think it just means I can't quit or change floors for 2 years. Which is fine with me, since I didn't plan on going anywhere anyway.
We ALMOST planned to go to DC in October, which I was really excited about. But we have some other traveling we are doing that month so it didn't really work out. We are driving up to Atlanta in the beginning of the month for the LSU/Georgia game (not that I'll be going) and then Jordan is flying to Canada for a business trip. So we have planned to put off DC until May of next year.
And tonight we came home to freshly trimmed trees! The large oaks in the backyard were blocking too much sun, and we wanted to prepare them for hurricane season. But unfortunately, along with the branches, the not so careful tree trimmers took a bunch of our plants. So it looks like tomorrow we will be buying plants (yet again!) and planting them. And if we spend one more dime on that backyard I'll shoot someone!
Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
1 year ago

welcome to homeownership 201
ReplyDeleteThey probably don't want me to tell you this, but uh... yeah, you can totally change floors under contract. I had to sign the exact same one when I started on 4A, and I've changed units twice. Pretty much as long as you stay within the organization and go to another stepdown/PCU/critical care/ICU floor, they don't care. Well, there'd be more training to do for ICU, but you catch my drift. I was all worried about it too... and then I had two different managers wave their hands and say "eh!" when I was asking if my contract would transfer. ;-) So, you're not stuck!
ReplyDeleteOh, and the heart stuff is not so bad. The more you are exposed to it, the easier/less freaky it gets. I used to have palpitations when my patients would have anything other than NSR; now I get patients going in and out of Afib and V-tach runs and I don't blink an eye. (I mean, I take action, of course, but I don't flip out like I used to! LOL.)
Good luck! I think you'll be a great PCU nurse.