This past Saturday I bought and read the whole South Beach Diet book. I've decided I want to see where a real diet will take me. Mainly, I want the discipline and detox. I can really let myself go when it comes to portion control, so I want to buckle down. I want to be a healthy person. I don't want to be the typical over weight nurse who puts no effort into health. I have perfect examples of what happens when you neglect your body in front of me every day at work. I don't want to just look the other way and pretend it won't happen to me.
So if you don't want to hear me go on and on about proteins, weight, portion control, and the agony of detoxing from sugar, don't bother reading for at least the next two weeks.
South Beach Diet was created by a cardiologist who wanted to give his heart patients a way to get themselves healthy and hopefully reverse the damage that was already done to their bodies. It lowered their cholesterol to the point of no longer needing medication and reversed prediabetic patients. It ended up being a great weight loss program also. The diet is based on 3 phases. Phase one is no carbs, eating only lean meat, veggies, and dairy for 2 weeks. It's the detoxing, resetting phase. Rid yourself of sugar cravings, which I have so terribly. Rarely do I eat junk food, such as cookies, ice cream, cake, but I do enjoy bread, pasta and fruit. All of which turn into sugar, which then turns into fat, and also leads to further sugar cravings (spike in blood sugar equals the pancreas sending out insulin, which then rapidly lowers blood sugar and the body thinks it needs more sugar).
That's the plan. No carbs for two weeks. Today I spent way too much time in Costco buying almost every type of veggie available (can't eat fruit, it's a carb). Costco sized veggie portions are perfect for this diet. I have enough tuna to last the average person a lifetime. Every type of dairy I could possibly stomach. And four dozen eggs.
For dinner I made chicken avocado swiss melt. It was freaking fantastic! Maybe I'll just eat that every night for the next 2 weeks. I didn't weigh today because I worked all night and it tends to be higher than when I get a normal nights sleep. Tomorrow I will weigh, and in 2 weeks I should be 8-13 pounds lighter. My goal is 10 pounds. Now I'm off to take a bike ride.
Ice cream is the one thing I craved today.
Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
1 year ago

No comments:
Post a Comment