Monday, June 15, 2009

Grand Canyon

I had big plans for keeping a traveling journal on here when we were on vacation, but spotty internet connections and being too tired derailed that pretty horribly. I'll probably take a few posts to document some things about our trip that I want to remember.


I will start with day one. 6 hours of flying. 5 hours of driving. We landed in Las Vegas and drove to a town outside of Grand Canyon National Park. We ate at a charming diner for dinner and headed to our hotel early. It had been a long day and we planned on getting up at 3:30 the next day. The sun rises early out west. We had to drive an hour to GC from where we were staying and make it to GC by 5ish to see the sun rise. We got there at 5:15 and the sun had already come up over the canyon. It was a beautiful, amazing day. The Grand Canyon is the most visited natural site in the world, and once you've been, you can understand why. I'd encourage everyone to go. You just have to see it to believe it.




I love this picture. There is a person sitting on a rock in black in the middle of it. Gives some perspective of how large everything is.



We blazed our own trail and ended up here. Everything was so beautiful out there. And yes, he really is standing on the edge.



After driving 10 hours (I did all the driving on this trip, all 2100 miles) in the desert I was already tired of it. It's really strange not seeing trees or anything green (everything is a dusty brown color). Not to mention you'd go an hour without seeing any building except a trailer plopped down in middle of no where.

After GC we made a stop by Hoover Dam, which is on the way back to Las Vegas. Again, something you can't believe unless you see it with your own eyes.

This thing won't let me add more pictures. I'll save Las Vegas and Hoover Dam pictures until tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. The Grand Canyon is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. I can't wait to go again :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...