My travel partners and our pimp-mobile
When we got to Breckenridge we were feeling the effects off 9000 ft altitude. We had headaches and got out of breath for doing little things, like putting on our shoes. It was like that all weekend. Jordan and Emily decided they wanted to do some night skiing. Alex and me, the newbies, were definitely OUT for that!
The brave night time skiers
As Alex and I were sitting in the van, trying to stay warm, we watched for a while people skiing down the slopes. We saw one skier completely wipe out and slide quite a ways. We were all "Oh wow, did you see that". Once Emily and Jordan came back we figured out that was Emily we saw eat snow.
Saturday was ski school day. Alex and I got our skis and headed to school. Ended up being 5 girls with one really good instructor. We did all sorts of little practices, about 3 hours worth, before we ended up doing any real skiing. Pretty much we had WEDGE WEDGE WEDGE pounded into our heads and then he took us up the chair lift.
Eager students
My boots were hurting me pretty bad, but the incredibly unhelpful employees at the rental place just said they weren't supposed to be comfortable. I went out and kept skiing. With the pain getting worse and worse. My ski school instructor looked at my boots and I had them on wrong. Problem number 1. Problem number 2, I think they were too small. That ended up ruining my second day.
I thought they were cute until I found out they were made by the devil
We went up the chairlift 2 times with our instructor and I made my way down both times without falling! It was a lot of fun. It snowed all afternoon. It was pretty cool skiing for the first time with the snow just pouring down.
That night Jordan, Alex, and I went downtown. It's such a cute little town. We ate at a little cafe type place. It was REALLY cold out that night. It was still snowing. I think someone said the wind chill was -5. It was probably the coldest I've ever been. Thank God for Under Armour.
Freezing!
On Sunday, Jordan and I slept in. We got up and met with Emily and Alex to do some more skiing. I got new boots! I was already in a lot of pain, from my knees down. We got up the chairlift without any incidents, and started down the mountain. I wiped out pretty good with skis and poles flying. I had to laugh, because I fell backwards, the exact way our instructor told us not to. But by the time I got up, got my lost ski back on, and started down the mountain again, I was wiped out. My legs wouldn't work anymore. I could barely control my skis. I was so upset. I wanted to ski so bad but my legs just wouldn't. Jordan quit with me and we spent the rest of the afternoon off the slopes. I was really disappointed :( Oh, and my camera broke that day too. Insult to injury I tell you.
We did build a snowman, and we walked about downtown. We waited in line for 45 minutes for a crepe. I bought a t-short that says Breckenridge on it. And we had a nice quiet dinner by ourselves. So we tried to salvage the day even though we didn't get to ski as much as we wanted.
Our snowman
Over all, it was a great trip. I really liked skiing. I need a lot more practice, but first I need to prep my legs! I might buy my own ski boots so I can be guaranteed the most comfort possible. I think we're going to try a mini trip to NC for some practice skiing once the season begins again.
Can't wait to go back next year

Glad to hear that you had a good trip!!!! Hope to hear from ya soon ;-)
ReplyDeleteWow, Florida Girl Ski's.....that should have been the headlines.....you go girl, I will say one thing you got lots of get up and go and determination! I think you had a really good time and if you roller blade and build up leg muscle you will be able to ski longer next time! Good for YOU! Way to GOOOOOOOO!
ReplyDelete