Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Fall Fell

Fall fell into this house this week and I came to realize how much I dislike holiday decorating. I always thought it was just bad timing or I wasn't in the mood, but after five years of having my own house to decorate I now know I just plain old don't like it. I love looking through pictures of other people's decorations, but I just can't get it together for my own home. I think one reason is I don't like having things out of place, and while in the middle of trying to make something pretty, other things are scattered all over (man, that really makes me sound OCD). And I have a hard time spending money on a non-permanent items for our house. I'd rather spend money on something we will enjoy all year. But, it's the week before Halloween and I needed to get it done. Since I took a picture I can do the EXACT same thing next year!


Last year I bought the arrangement of fall flowers from Old Time Pottery (one thing they do well) and I bought the faux pumpkins from Walmart for $1 each ($5 for the big one). That's our staple almost-made-it-through-the-whole-bottle-but-not-quite-yet wine that always seems to be sitting around.



I don't know why, maybe it's the colors, or the non-traditional fall items mixed in, but I love this grouping in the middle of our table. Jordan helped with the placement (he has a great eye for balance that isn't symmetrical, unlike myself). The cream and sugar milk glass jars were a vacation find in an antique mall. I found the acorns in Shenandoah National Forest. There was a group of bikers staring at me like I was crazy for filling my pockets with these big, beautiful acorns. When I got home, all these little fat worms (I call them worms cause if I used the word maggot I'd have a hard time keeping the acorns on my table) had eaten their way out. Maybe that's why the bikers were looking at me so weird, they knew I was filling my pockets with maggot acorns.



Our entryway has always been brown, beige, and subtle hints of red. After switching to the fall decor, it's still brown, beige, and has subtle hints of red. It was the last of my fall decorating and this was as good as it was gonna get.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...