Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Ski Trip 2010

Ski Trip 2010 is underway!! My travel buddies are hardcore Lost fans, so as they watch, I catch up on our great ski adventure.

We flew out early Sunday morning for a direct flight to Denver. It was the best flight I've ever had, and if you know me, you know I have serious issues with flying! We arrived to Denver bright and early and were picked up by our chauffeur, Tom, aka Emily's boyfriend, in a wonderfully gigantic Expedition. We loaded is up with our bags and were on our way. Once we got close to Breckenridge it started snowing. Big, puffy snow flakes. It almost looked like cotton balls falling from the sky. This was the heaviest snow I'd ever seen. It was beautiful. I love the change in scenery from green, flat Florida to snowing, mountainous Colorado. I still haven't decided if I'd actually like to live here though.





Once we got to Breck, we did our grocery shopping, picked up our skis that we had rented, and checked into our condo. It's a very nice condo that is literally steps from the ski lifts (Praise Jesus for those of us with painful rented boots). We met some of Emily's long time friends, Jimmy and Monica, for dinner. They live about 2 hours away from Breck and Jimmy is an avid snowboarder/outdoors man so he wanted to ski with Emily. Monica is 6 months pregnant so she spent her time relaxing in Breck. The 6 of us had a great dinner at Breckenridge Brewery catching up and goofing off. Jordan and I decided Jimmy and Monica are pretty much the nicest people we've ever met and hope to be more like them one day.




Monday was our first day of skiing. I was pretty nervous since I'd only had one day of successful skiing previously. I'd been working so hard to strengthening my legs and I was eager to see how it paid off. We spent half the day warming up on the green slopes (the easiest slopes). It felt good to be on skis again once I had a couple runs under my belt. I was able to relax more and enjoy myself. Later on in the day Jordan and I decided to move up to the next level of slopes, blue ones. We went up the chair lift for a VERY long time. Quite literally on top of a mountain. As soon as we started going down I knew this wasn't going to end well. I was already tired so trying to ski back and forth slowly down the steep run was not working out. I was taking lots of breaks and not enjoying myself at all. While sitting on the snow off to the side a douchebag snowboarder sprayed snow all over me and heckled down the rest of the run. Um ya, didn't help the situation at all. Trying to make it down that mountain was almost torture. Not the way I would have liked to end our day. But I did it and I didn't get hurt. Once we made it back home I wasn't even sore. SHOCKING! We spent a little time in the hot tub and I ended my night with a killer headache.



Day #2 was a completely clear beautiful day! A beautiful day for falling. And falling some more. And sliding. My first fall was for no particular reason. I was watching Tom and Emily come down the mountain and taking pictures. Next thing I know I'm falling and pushing my camera lens into the snow. The camera survived and I had to laugh at myself. After some green runs Emily took us up to an "easy" blue. My first run down was really good. I was able to gain some speed and make it down the mountain without hating it. My confidence was building and I was enjoying myself. That didn't last long. On our way back up, we were waiting for the chair lift, the little gate opened, I wasn't paying attention, I got out late and next thing I know the chairlift bumps into my hip and over I go. Everyone and their mother got to see that one, except for my ski buddies who were off and ready to go, until the chairlift stopped and they noticed I WAS NOT ON IT WITH THEM! Ugh, ego and left hip bruised. For the rest of the run I was falling all over the place. I was seriously frustrated and my legs were done. They wouldn't move the way they were supposed to. Time to go home.

The newbies, Tom and I, stayed home and Emily and Jordan went out to do some harder blues. Jordan had a near miss experience as they are calling it. Something about a cliff and a log and near decapitation. That's the story I got at least. The rest of our day has been relaxing. I took a nap, Emily made dinner, Tom did laundry, Jordan got his camera battery charged, and I made rice crispy treats (I've eaten 4 so far). Now the others (get it? The others. Haha I crack myself up) sit around watching Lost. I must be silent or someone (Emily) may kill me.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...