Friday, March 19, 2010

The DO Is My Hero

After the wild uterine goose chase in the ED, nothing had changed or helped the firepit burning in my stomach. Wednesday night I had thrown up what looked like some partially digested blood. I took some medication and slept like a rock through the night. Thursday wasn't any better. I had no appetite and my stomach was still churning away. Jordan took me to my regular doctor, Dr. Dycus, who I can't say enough good things about. He's a DO and every time I go to him he has impressed me with his COMMON SENSE and DIAGNOSTIC SKILLS! Unlike the ED, he went with the obvious, gastritis. I've had it before, the pain makes sense, and he prescribed the exact medication needed for it.

I've been taking his concoction of pills for half a day, and right now, I'm not in pain. I haven't eaten anything today, and that will be the true test when I do put something in my mouth. But I have backup pills for that, oxycodone. Tomorrow is our 5 year wedding anniversary and I would hate to miss our annual Season's 52 date just because of a little pain/nausea/vomiting.

So I asked my all knowing, miracle working doctor what the long term treatment would be for this, and I'll probably stay on antacids forever. And why would I develop gastritis even though I don't fit in the normal criteria? "You might just be one of those people." Lucky lucky me. I really hate thinking that I might turn into one of those "sick people", every time you turn around they've got a new symptom to complain about. But I can't exactly ignore blood in my vomit. Oh, and throwing up scrambled eggs has very little taste coming back up, but they will get stuck in your sinuses.

On the bright side, I've lost 4 lbs! Probably has something to do with eating nothing but saltines for 2 days, the laxatives that people keep insisting on giving me, and vomiting the last meal I was able to eat. But either way, it's 4 pounds!

1 comment:

  1. So sorry you've been having trouble! And congratulations on 5 years. 2005 was a good year to get married :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...