Monday, February 21, 2011

Conquer Fear 2011 - Gators

Back in December/January I decided to make some goals for the new year. Well, one goal specifically, to conquer fear. I named this year Conquer Fear 2011. I made a list of stuff that I avoid to prevent an uncomfortable feeling. I'm not naturally a fearful person, but there are certain things that hold me back from living as full as I could. I'm definitely not the type of person to say I can't do something. But I kept finding these little things that I would avoid just so I wouldn't be uncomfortable/afraid/scared. I wasn't made to live in fear, so I'm going to conquer it. Take it head on. Then laugh in it's face.

My list consists of very specific to activities that send me into "freak out mode". Some of it may not make sense to other people, but it's all stuff that I avoid due to fear. So here it is (straight from my iPhone list labeled "2011"):

1. Canoe gator infested Wekiva Springs
2. Hold a spider
3. Learn to Fly
4. Ride a roller coaster

Small list but I can add to it. Today was gator fear conquering day. It worked out really well. I went canoeing with my best friend Maribel, and Jordan and her brother tagged along in kayaks. She and I had been canoeing down the springs before and I remember the sense of desperation to "get out" when I saw any gators. Didn't help that it was me and another female in a canoe, which means we were definitely not going fast and I was a brand new canoer so I wasn't very good at it. Trapped, inexperience, gators, ya, that sums up most of my anxiety inducers right there. But I love water. I love being outside in the Florida sun. I love a good physical challenge. There was no real reason for me to hate canoeing besides the unnecessary anxiety. So that was definitely first on my Conquer list. I made a couple videos while going down the springs. I have no video editing skills so it is what it is.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...