In 2008 I bought this amaryllis. I think I got it from Target. It was a pretty pot, with dirt in it, and the promise of a bloom within 30 days. This was around the time that my grandfather had his stroke.
My grandfather was a skilled horticulturist. He had a green thumb like no other person I've ever met. My favorite memory of him was when he helped me with a science project. I had to make a notebook of 100 different plant leaves with their scientific and common names. He took me all around his property and collected every one of the leaves I needed.
Right after my grandfather passed away the amaryllis bloomed. Although it required little skill to get it to bloom, it was nice being apart of what my grandfather so loved to do. The amaryllis just bloomed again this week, and this time with 2 blooms. I had little hope for it to ever bloom again, considering how much I neglected it over the winter. But it did and now I am reminded of what I have, what I love, and what I want in my life.

Raymond Rose Hargrave
May 26, 1921 - December 20, 2008

This is beautiful. Grandfathers are special people.
ReplyDelete