Monday, February 1, 2010

We Did It!

The month of January is complete and so is our no-spending challenge! When we took on this challenge I think we both thought it was going to be hard. At first, it was. We had to turn down friends who wanted to go out to eat, or take crazy 50 MPH go-kart races. We were so adamant about not spend any money I think some friends are convinced we're in financial peril, but really we just wanted to detox from our spending habits. Besides buying plane tickets to Colorado, it's shocking how much money we saved. Actually, not shocking, embarrassing!


Since our challenge went so well, about half way through the month we revamped our entire budget. It's a tight budget but we have a specific goal in mind; wood floors! And not that laminate crap. Real wood floors. Of course, if we do the floors in the living room/entry/dining, we need to do the kitchen tile. And if we do the kitchen tile we need to have matching tile in the laundry room. And if we get rid of all this lovely pink and green tile through the rest of the house, we clearly need replace it on the fireplace. And naturally we can't just go with "normal" wood floors, we want a tile inlay in the entry (Darn you HGTV!). And I'm sure the baseboards will come up in pieces so we'll have to replace all of those too. And TA-DA! That's a years worth of a semi-tight, super savers budget. It's going to be gloriously beautiful!

With this new goal in mind, I've decided to give up Target. That's right, that's how much I want wood floors. But not only new floors, that's how much I don't want to be a wasteful, ungrateful, "I need stuff to make me happy" American.

1 comment:

  1. Yes! I bet it feels amazing! I am realizing just how much I don't need mindless things like magazines and chewing gum. Little purchases add up!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...