Last Thursday was shaping up to be "one of those days". I had to wake up early for the tile guys to come. Waking up early automatically puts me in one of those moods. Then my dog smashed my coffee cup into my mouth and chipped my front tooth (this is the same dog that ate my wedding ring, jumped off a second floor balcony, and has ruined more leashes than we paid for her. So, just add chipped tooth to her disastrous resume). And then the blow dryer I JUST bought broke, which I then dropped on my foot, just to add injury to insult. This was all before 10:30, long before I'm even supposed to be awake. I also had huge anxiety about not being able to get any sleep before I had to go to work that night.
So the morning continues and the tile guy is talking to me about his recent experience with the economy. Last year he had to give up his 15 man business and company trucks, to end up working for someone else who can barely offer him enough business to keep one work van. He said he had tried to go to sleep about 11:30 the night before he was to come to my house. He couldn't sleep past 2:30, watched TV until 4:30, then went for a jog around his neighborhood. He ate his ONE meal for the day, oat meal with blueberries, strawberries and almonds, "because it's good for your heart". And after he was finished with our small job he didn't have any more work for the day. I'm thinking to myself, this is the type of story you hear on TV, read in the paper, or hear from third world countries, NOT first hand in your own house. Americans eating one meal a day... if that doesn't hit you in the gut, you might want to check your spirit.
After my morning of disastrous events and the one meal story, I went in my bedroom to try to get a couple minutes of shut eye. As I was laying there I squeezed my eyes shut and pretty much begged God not to let me have one of those days. I didn't want to end up having "one of those days". Then I remembered the verse/song "This is the day that the Lord has made." This gave me peace in a way that I couldn't have capture on my own.
Right after that, the tile guys finished, I had a hard 3 hour nap, the dentist fixed my tooth, and I had a great night at work. I think it's so easy to forget you're blessed. It's easy to remember what you don't have, but we don't always stop to think about what we do have. Health, food on the table, a roof over your head, people you love and they love you, what more could you ask for? And most of us have a LOT more than that. Needless to say after hearing his story I appreciated my job a little more.
Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
1 year ago

This is so beautiful. It's so easy to get caught up in our own little dramas and forget that there are people so close to us that can't even put food on the table. One of my students came to school with two pieces of bread for lunch. I asked him why he didn't have anything on his bread. He said it was a "wish sandwich". One of my favorite things to do is list what I am thankful for. It's an awesome reminder of how much God loves me.
ReplyDeleteOh, and I am so sorry about your tooth! I have chipped mine a number of times. I hate it!
Thank you for the humble reminder from your humble blog.....we are so blessed...glad that the Peace of God which passes all understand comsumed you and you sent fear packing!
ReplyDelete