Saturday, April 23, 2011

34:08

A lot has happened since my last blog update... yeah, over a month ago. I'm a terrible blogger. But I'm ok with that because I have been OUT in the WORLD..... LIVING! I have barely used the computer since I started training for a 5k, and I have no regrets at all. Speaking of 5k, I finished my first one 2 weeks ago. It wasn't a timed race, but my unofficial time was 36:30 (right around 12 minutes per mile, and I had to walk a short distance). Today, this morning, April 23, 2011, I finished my first timed 5k race! I ran every bit of it with a goal of finishing in 36 minutes and my official time was 34:08! I feel so accomplished and satisfied. And I can officially say I'm a runner. No one will be able to understand this on the level that I feel it. For my entire life I said "I can't run" and now I have conquered and I CAN run. I am a runner. I continually put my running shoes on and beat what I didn't think I could do. My times are getting better. My legs are stronger. I can run 3 miles and continue on with my day without feeling like my legs are made of jello. It is one of the best feelings in the world to know what I can accomplish when I put my mind to it. And I'm doing it all. for. me. No husband, dogs, parents, friends. I go out there and impress myself just for ME.

When I started training, February 4th of this year, I could barely run 3 minutes without having to walk and catch my breath. Ever since then I have ran 3 times a week, first for 2 miles, then up to 3 miles, pushing myself further to continually get a better time. I've gotten great advice from other runners. Like stretching! My God, my calves would be killing me a mile into a run. Now I stretch them 2 minutes on each calf and no more pain! Another great tip, sprinting at the end of a run to push my heart and lungs to their max. It's a killer in the Florida heat but worth it!

Now that I've conquered 3.1 miles, I'm going to start interval training to improve my time. As of now I have my pace so under control I don't get out of breath at all. It's time to start pushing my heart, lungs, and legs to the max. Every day the temp is reaching above 90 degrees here in Florida so it will be interesting to see how well I do in the heat (I only run outside, never on a treadmill). My goal is to run a half marathon so I can get one of those cool 13.1 bumper stickers, and the self gratification of knowing YES I CAN!

I would go for a marathon, but that just seems obsessive to me, so I'll stick with the 13.1 mile goal. I've also started one other "I can" project. I'm not able to share all the details yet, but it's MUCH bigger than running 3.1 miles, and will change my life if I'm able to accomplish it. My "I can'ts" are very quickly becoming my "I cans" and I couldn't be happier.

1 comment:

  1. That's amazing!! I was totally not a runner, but once I started doing it I felt awesome! Finishing my first half in march was the best feeling ever, even though I was soooo scared to do it, keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...